Monday, February 21, 2011

Top 10 Free Songs

Top 10 Free Songs

There's a wealth of music to immerse yourself in out there. It's amazing. To illustrate my point, here's my top ten list of songs that I've discovered in my short period of exploration.


Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues

http://rcrdlbl.com/artists/Fleet_Foxes/track/Helplessness_Blues

The new album is on its way, to be released in April sometime. After the sudden escalation of their first album (mostly due to Pitchfork's review) and the unexpected fame, you can hear that there's more pressure to perform in this song. The lyrics carry a clear message; Pecknold's vocal are right up front. Slightly disappointing at first. But then, slowly but surely, the rest of the band eases itself in until you have the richness and ecstasy that defines their genius.


Alessi's Ark – Wire

http://soundcloud.com/bella-union/alessis-ark-wire

The video for this song kind of sums it up. Alessi is walking around on her own, a little tricycle her only apparent friend (“I feel lonely, my friends don't seem to know me/Like I thought they did”). In a beautifully husky voice she discourses on the troubles of life, and tells herself to buck up (“You were made for this, girl”). Can't wait for this album to come out.


Panda Bear – Last Night at the Jetty

http://www.gorillavsbear.net/2011/02/11/mp3-panda-bear-last-night-at-the-jetty/

Another awesome album soon to be coming out.

It sounds different to Noah's last album, “Person Pitch” - but I'm betting there's going to be some epic chug-a-thons such as “Bros”. The sound and the lyrics are darker (from “I know we had a goo

d time” to “didn't I have a good time?”) but the tune and beat are as gorgeously rich as ever. The production is mind-blowing. I listen to it over and over. And over. And over.



Thousands – The Sound of Everything

http://soundcloud.com/bella-union/thousands-the-sound-of-everything

Instantly you can tell this is something different, while still being warmly familiar and soft – The Sound of Everything starts off with – is that an accordion? - an accordion, and vocals far back in the mix, giving it a shoegaze feel without the pedals. An eclectic, acoustic song, beatific in melody. Have a squiz at their upcoming album on bandcamp – http://thousands.bandcamp.com/album/the-sound-of-everything-sample.


Andrew Cedermark – Hard Livin'

http://stereogum.com/100651/new_andrew_cedermark_-_hard_livin/mp3s/

It took me a little while to get into this snarly song, growling impatiently at the intricacies of the relationship the singer finds himself in. “If you want to talk about/Let's talk about it, alright!” he yells, while you know perfectly well that's not what he wants. This song doesn't unfold on the first listen through; it keeps opening up to you on each repeat. The lyrics are well worth reading too; they're probably the finest out of all the songs on this list. Except for this one:


Tallest Man on Earth – Like the Wheel

http://stereogum.com/498601/the-tallest-man-on-earth-like-th-wheel/mp3s/

Best lyrics. Even though you're left to imagine exactly what it is that's happening, there's no doubt as to the meaning of the final lines. His aching guitar and grainy vocals are to music what those old speckled and scratched black and white films are to movies. You can't do without.


Liars – Scissors

http://popheadwound.blogspot.com/2009/12/mp3-liars-scissors.html

I love the way the beginning belies the way the song's going to continue. Unless, of course, you are familiar with their music. The storminess of the chorus allows you to appreciate the layered choir-vocals of the verse even more. If you haven't seen the video, you should get online and find it – it's one of the best music videos released last year.


Morning Benders – Promises

http://stereogum.com/108301/new_morning_benders_-_promises/mp3s/


Shuffle shuffle. Such perfect production. The passing of time is the subject matter here; the push and pull of the rhythm suit the uneasiness of the lyrics perfectly (“I can't help thinking we grew up too fast/And I know, I know this won't last”). Vocals, piano, guitars and claps interject themselves seemingly haphazardly, yet form a perfect symbiosis. It's no insult to say that this isn't even their best song.



Wild Nothing – Summer Holiday

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/11777-summer-holiday/

Bliss. Inescapably shoegaze in all aspects, with an 80's influence, but in the best way possible. I can't hear a word that's being sung, but I can sing along perfectly anyway.


Vampire Weekend – Horchata

http://stereogum.com/93791/new_vampire_weekend_-_horchata/mp3s/

My first introduction to the sound of Vampire Weekend, and I really didn't know what to think. In fact I did not really like it. But I went through the day, singing it in my head, the twirling melody extremely catchy and the strange xylophone sounds in the back. No one else does stuff like this. Pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment